Monday, March 10, 2008

A Visitor on Saturday

When I woke up on Saturday and stumbled into the kitchen to feed the cats and make my self a pot of coffee, I fleetingly glimpsed a white, furry thing on the back deck. After making sure the white cat that owns me was still inside, I went to the door to look more carefully. Look who was looking back!





Oddly enough, the cats were not too interested in this visitor. Jazzie, the cat at the bottom of the picture, watched for awhile and then strolled over the to dry food bowl with an insouciant air. (Don't you just love that word, insouciant? It trips off the tongue, makes me want to say it all day long!)

I'm not certain why an opossum would be out during the day, as they are more nocturnal and shy. It was the day of tremendous rains here in the Boston area, so perhaps its den had been flooded out.
I think this one was a female, as it was a bit smaller than the other 'possum that was running around in the back yard, that I didn't get a picture of.

I like wildlife, as long as it stays outside, and 'possums are interesting little creatures. Supposedly they have not changed much since the age of the dinosaurs, and they seem very old-soulish. I'm glad I got the chance to see one up close. I've only seen them in the late evening, at dusk, and usually running away. This one seemed to want to have its picture taken.

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger LogoGirl said...

i think that is pretty neat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home