Wednesday, March 08, 2006





He was our favorite player. My daughter learned to mark a scorecard watching him play when her dad took her and her brother to games at the Metrodome. My son watched him hit the home run that kept the Twins in the 1981 World Series in the 6th game and got to see him play in the Metrodome as they won the 7th game. He was the inspiration for the kids' baseball passion and I even enjoyed watching him play despite my distinct lack of baseball passion. Our cat is his namesake.



And now he is gone. It's hard to believe. His career ended so abruptly and now his life too. I've read the columns and the press about the outpouring of feelings in Minnesota after his death, and I've mourned him too. I don't know of any other sports figure who could make me feel that way.

When David Letterman was doing a series of Friday night shows where he would have the entire audience be from one area, he chose Minneapolis/St. Paul as one of the cities he would base a show around. He would bring on guests that were important to that area or famous from that area. Of course he included Kirby Puckett as his guest for the Minnesota show. When he introduced Kirby, the entire audience went crazy, chanting "Kirby! Kirby!" It lasted quite awhile. And while that was enough to cause me to tear up, it was Letterman's reaction that really got me. He was so taken aback at the love and admiration for Kirby, he was almost in tears. It was an amazing evening.

I will always remember Kirby playing baseball. Rounding 3rd base, leaping up to rob someone of a home run in centerfield. Built like a sparkplug, he was truly a graceful and great player.

5 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Welcome to Blogland. I live in Minnesota and Kirby was as much a fabric of our lives here as snow and mosquitoes. You should see the makeshift memorial at the Metrodome. It's awe-inspiring. Almost as much as he was. Glad to have you on board and look forward to reading more from you!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Hey Cardigirl. It's been a week since you blogged. What's happening in your world?

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

Make that nearly 3 weeks. Please speak to us.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger crazyauntpurl said...

OK, you got me hooked on you and now... NOTHING. WAH!!!! I demand a ... new entry ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home